Thursday, April 29, 2010

Talking to My Child About Obesity

Our family history is not the heathiest, to say the least. We have history of heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc. etc. etc.
My son is tall and right now, very solid, for being 12 years old. The problem is, I want to make him realize that some of the things he eats are so bad for him. We don't eat out hardly at all - maybe two times a month, and then it's either for breakfast or Chinese, not fast food. Our family also has a bad history of being overweight. That is something that I have struggled with for MANY years. I am sorry to admit that I have been down the eating disorders road... both of them. It is something that is hard to live with and you never really get over it... there is no miracle "cure". My son is unhappy with his weight and he wants to diet, but I know he just needs to change his eating habits. I guess it all depends on how badly a 12 year old wants to change.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a hard subject, in my opinion, the best way to deal with your son wanting to go on a diet is tell him it's NOT a diet at all, but a better way of eating. Not diet pills, shakes or plans but more portion control and monotoring food groups(adding plenty of fresh fruit & vegtables).
    Good luck to both of you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have you leave me your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...