Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Childhood Home...


It wasn’t really a “home” … it was a mobile home. It was large and I had an awesome bedroom – my closet was the length of my room and I had plenty of storage space. As a little girl, I needed all the space I could get…

May not be tons of memories, but there are truly a few memorable things…

I got my first tv in that home. My dad brought it home for me one day – a 13” black and white with an antennae on the back (Cable? What was cable?). My carpet was built in… green and gold shag… oh well, it was carpet. I even had my own record player… yes, the turntable in the plastic case, with a handle, that had the cord wrapped on the back.

One memory I had was my first pair of glasses… I came home from the eye doctor and went in to change my clothes. I took my glasses off and set them on the floor. OOPS! I changed my clothes and that was that. Mom walked in to put something away and stepped on my glasses. Well, needless to say, less than an hour later, we were on our way back to the eye doctor to have the frames straightened out, so they fit back on my face.

And then there was the pink silly putty on green shag carpet… did you know that silly putty comes off news paper and furniture, but carpet… that is a whole other story… nope… does not come out of carpet… and the pink is REALLY bright on the dark green carpet, in the middle of the living room floor.

Let’s see, since we were in a neighborhood of people the age of my grandparents, I had many “grandparents” looking out for me. They bought from my fundraisers and they even taught me how to ride my bike. Needless to say, the bike experience took (honestly) 12 times removing the training wheels before my dad threatened to never put them back on. (Did you know that if you tried to do a u-turn, going up a hill, with training wheels, you would tip over and crash to the asphalt? Yep, you will.) Guess there was no turning back that Friday afternoon! He took the wheels off and there was my pink bike, white banana seat, and multi-colored plastic fringes hanging from the handlebars. I even had a while basket on the front with small plastic flowers. Okay, so I got up Saturday morning, in a desire to ride my bike. I had a group of adults at the top of the road and another at the bottom. They took turns holding the back of my bike, running me up and down the street. I was getting tired, but they refused to let up. It even came down to food. No lunch break until I got the two-wheeler down pat. I don’t think I had lunch till dinner, but I learned to ride, thanks to their persistency…

I loved that home. It was where I grew up…

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and I basically had the same life as youngsters....from the mobile home to the grandparent-aged neighborhood to the pink bike. Mine was exactly as you described. Oh, and the b&w tv w/antenna.

    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. do you have a button or banner for me to link to your site? I am going to try this weekend to get a links page up and running on my blog - meant to do that before now, but haven't managed to yet. I'd love to link back here! Thanks for snagging my button, too. It's always great to be in the company of other moms of teens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a less than perfect credit score and you are looking to make some necessary improvements to your home then a bad credit homepage loan may be exactly what you need. A bad credit home improvement loan is a loan given to those with questionable credit that desperately need to make improvements to their home. General uses of a home improvement loan include paving a driveway, shingling a roof, buying a furnace, expanding for a new child or anything of that sort.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have you leave me your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...