Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Not your mother’s daughter…how do you parent differently than your mother did? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Mama Kat's Writing Prompts 11.01.11

My mom is older. She was almost 40 when I was born, so she was considered "old". My friends didn't come to visit because that was how I felt. She wore polyester... and dressed me in polyester and hand-me-downs also. We didn't go to the mall and we didn't buy Levi's. I worse Tough skins and Geranimals. Credit card shopping revolved around Sears. My mom is a great person, but she was never the motherly type. When mom said no, Dad always said yes... and then there was hell to pay. I got a tv for my room before mom got one for their room... she was not impressed. Mom said no to the gum, Dad bought me seven packs so I could send in the wrappers for a prize. My mom wasn't one to bond with me and take me places. I take my son places and try to do things with him, that he would enjoy, We go places, do things, and eat strange foods. I guess my mom was protective and that was good, after raising two boys, but I only wish we could have bonded more. She let me get my ears pierced, but then (at my ripe old age of 40-something), she still complains about my belly ring and my tattoos. My son has all his fingers and toes, he isn't tattooed or pierced, and he still speaks English... with no criminal record. This is good, right?

1 comment:

I would love to have you leave me your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...